This is a four month photo essay on the youth ministry, the Remnant, at Zion Church. The Remnant has ministered to over 4000 youth and young adults since 2004.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Inspiration

I first heard Vertical band play on December 31, 2007 at the New Year's Eve night watch service at Zion Church. I was in awe by the energy of the band members and crowd that surrounded the stage to sing, dance and worship God. When I needed a semester project for my photojournalism independent study, I knew Remnant was the perfect group to document. How can over 250 high school and college students be so motivated and dedicated to serving Jesus Christ that they have taken the pledge to be soldiers for God? Take on the mission of spreading His message through out their schools, neighborhoods, towns, cities, counties, states and ultimately the world. I tried to remain objective and focused on documenting the Remnant experience, specifically praise and worship. However, as the weeks passed, God began to speak to me. Photojournalism was simply the vehicle that was going to lead me to change my life and accept the Remnant mission. I told the youth pastor, PJ (Pastor Joe Lee), that I just came on Friday nights to take pictures, not to completely change my life! Obviously God had bigger and better plans for me. These are a selection of my pictures from the past four months. I've been inspired and ultimately changed, I hope you are too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Imani:
You've crossed over from impartial observer to advocate. How does that affect your relationship with the subject? Will you censor your record? Can you be an advocate and give unbiased critique? Or do you have another role?

Unknown said...

WE need to do an edit session get out the dupes and figure out the order of your posts ( Project segments) Are they in the order you want? Does it read like a story?

If you start with the first post giving meaning letters in the name. So it reads more like a website, book, magazine.

( clear dupes, please.

ch

Contributors